Thursday, October 7, 2010

Previous post was premature

I knew I still had to walk almost 18km, and given the normal rate of 4km per hour, I wouldn't get to Cacabelos till at least 4 and I still needed to pick up some lunch and change into lighter pants since the sun had come out. I was realizing this was going to be a long and possibly hard walk due to the late hour.
But as I was finding my way put of town, I heard my name and was delighted to see Vered, a lovely Israeli woman now living in Amsterdam. We had visited previous days and I had left her yesterday at the town before the final descent into Molinaseca.
She too was heading to Cacabelos, so we each were delighted to have company and a chance to visit. This was a woman who barely walked a block at home. She was delighted to have caught up with me since I was the last one she saw yesterday when she decided to stay and she was on her way to walking 29km. We had a jolly good walk together, stopping for a rest and foot rubdown.
We were once again into wine country and rolling hills along dirt tracks.
Outside cacabelos a farmer took Vered and I aside along a row of apple trees, and offered us each little apples. Although small and green, they were delicious. I realized I was famished and exhausted by the time I arrived.
Vered and I celebrated her 29km with yet another pilgims dinner, though the soup was delicious. And now it is time to turn in. Tomorrow is another longish day to a little Hamlet of Los Harrerias and 167.5km from Santiago.
Good night from the Camino. Heather

1 comment:

  1. Heather thanks for your rich descriptions of what has been happening in your "deep dot of time"!

    ReplyDelete