Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Portomarin

Dear Family and Friends
It is hard to believe that I began this journey one month ago today in St Jean Pied de Port. As I was walking this morning I was reflecting on all the people I have met, the various places I have visited, and all that I have learned over the past 688km or thereabouts. Tonight I am at 95km.
Today was Heather's day. A perfect day and one I didn't want to see end.....until near the end. You see a sign for your destination and you think it's immanent, but you still have another 3 or 4 km to go.
The small hotel I stayed in last night served a nice breakfast which I took advantage of. I left town just as daylight was arriving. The sweet sound of birds singing accompanied me as I descended the town and soon found myself on a beautiful dirt track climbing a hill with huge old tree trunks supporting new growth, all lining the path like sentries guiding the way. A wonderful image for our BodySoul conference of Honouring Roots -Nurturing New Life, but it was too dark and the quality of my photos was not good. The vegetation of today's walk delighted my senses. The paths were those whose pictures invite you in... to follow to somewhere magical or full of mystery. I could not stop snapping pictures, so inviting was each path. Many many moments or cameos, a little trickling brook with ferns growing out of a wall, or moss on a
stone fence,ancient rock walls separating green fields. It looked very much like Ireland-
emerald green fields bordered by rock walls. There were huge oak trees - magnificent in their
maturity, and also chestnut trees covered in prickly green balls. I felt a bit like Alice in
Wonderland. Come to think of it, I even saw a rabbit yesterday in the monastery. I thought of
you Margo and took a picture. Not sure though that he was the mad hatter.

I love that as you walk into a town, all forms of life co- exist - homes, barns, cattle, bars
where local and pilgrim people gather for morning coffee. Barns and cattle are often housed in
the middle of town and cow dung covers the streets. I'm reminded of the alchemist's saying...
in the shit is the gold. And this journey is pure gold. I am well aware of how priveleged I
am to be here walking this path. I carry in my heart many people who are unable to make this
journey but could use the healing and blessing of the spiritual empowerment inherent on this path.
The sun shone brightly today - very warm.
Mist hung in the valleys and rose as the sun shone brightly. When I stopped for tea, I let my
toes come out to play and changed to my sandals. It was a shorts, short-sleeved and sunhat
day. Glorious.
I definitely noticed a different energy on the path today. Many groups - without packs have appeared- many Spamish speaking. There had been a camaraderie of people - perhaps on the long
haul- commiserating together - that seems to have been lost somewhat. Yet, I respect that each
person owns their own Camino, and it is not for me to judge. Also I can understand why it is
so popular to walk the last 100km. Galicia is very beautiful. ( pilgrims can get the
Compostella - certificate for completing the Camino in Santiago- if they walk the last 100km.)
Today is a Spanish National holiday - not just in Spain, but for all Spanish countries , including America- land founded by Christopher Columbus. Again I heard fireworks as I entered
town, and a little parade of VW beetles ( original) just honked as they passed by the bar
where I am enjoying a cervesa as I write this using the local weefee.
I will now go explore this town before the sun sets and dinner is served.
Tomorrow I head for Palas de Rei. Good night. Heather

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading your blog daily and really enjoyed the stories of your amazing journey!. I am so glad that your feet are cooperating and you are getting so close to completing your walk!. Safe travels the rest of the way Heather and I look forward to hearing your tales when you are back in Canada!. Drew Rickard.

    ReplyDelete