Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Beginning

Dear Family and friends
This is a whole new adventure.  I am at Chartres, France for a week doing a workshop on the labyrinth.
Two days before it started I explored Paris - art galleries and the latin quarter primarily and took great delight in navigating the metro as well as doing lots of walking.  I love France.Chartres is an amazing place - very powerful and full of paradoxes. It is unique in that it is strictly a church dedicated to Mary (from the beginning) and the feminine, although it is still very patriarchal.  Also; they have been very accommodating in our use of the labyrinth; though it is largely ignored here.  Chartres was the place where pilgrims enroute to Santiago de Compostella found refuge for rest and illness: The entire lower floor - the Crypt was used for their needs.  For me, it is a time for me to focus on my intention and preparation for my journey through France and Spain on my way to Santiago - after a very busy spring and summer. The Black Madonna's (there are 2 here) are especially significant for me - they are real and not so idealized as Mary has been over the years.
Enroute to France, I lost my badge for the Company of Pilgrims; however today I was given a real shell from a restaurant called LeSerpent, which identifies a pilgrim walking to Santiago.  That is the way it has been going on this journey: 
I want to explain the title of my Blog - Heather-laughingat64.  In many ways it is a dedication to my mother who at 95 has found joy and laughter in her life facilitated by dementia.  I have never seen my mother so happy and full of joy.  Had she had the opportunities in life that I have had, she would have loved this adventure. Dementia tends to free what has been repressed in the unconscious- our unlived life as it were.  She demonstrates that often what is hidden is very good and it is sad that she was not able to live this joy throughout her life - no wonder everyone loves her where she is living.  So on the eve of turning 64, I am approaching this journey laughing, hoping it will keep my spirits up when the going gets tough.
There are 19 people at this workshop - from France, Scotland, Ireland, the Netherlands, US and a very large contingent from Canada.  Unlike many BodySoul affiliated  workshops, there are 4 men, and it is a delight to see them so fully engaged in this work. Mary Hamilton and Lauren Artress leading this workshop have been brilliant; and I have met many fascinating and inspiring people here.
I cannot promise how often I will be able to write in this blog.  This is a very personal and spiritual journey for me.  There may be times I simply cannot put forward what is in my heart, but I will not abandon it, so as I am having to learn, wait patiently and something will eventually appear. 
I am thankful that I have eventually figured this Blog out - with much help from Mike.  Deep gratitude to you Mike.  Goodnight all.  Heather

1 comment:

  1. Bon Camino,Heather--The real camino is inside as you already know. Have a grand adventure.

    Much love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete