Monday, September 27, 2010

Fromista

Dear Followers of the Camino
I thank you for your comments and emails. Sometimes I do feel like Im on the other side of the world but the journey continues to be filled with inspiration and wonderful people.
When I left Burgos I was well ahead because the hotel being near the university was a good 4km past the centre of town. At the azofra I went to have a cup of tea and soon the maitre D I had had the day before for dinner presented a plate of freshly baked croissants. Were they good (one only :). The walk went very fast and I arrived at Hornillos del Camino by noon. I had walked all day in my sandals and my feet felt very good. I was feeling very invigorated. I also had met another French Canadian couple from Quebec and Suzie and I had a similar pace. We spoke mainly in French which I was enjoying very much. We also met up with GG ( Gibeth and Gerard at hornillos where we had all stopped for lunch. The hostal I was to stay in was across the street. I was trying to decide whether to stay or not. I sensed that rain was coming and tried on my boots to see how they felt. They felt good. So I decided to go on. It was another 10 km. As I looked for the owner I saw a German fellow I had met earlier that day. He seemed to be hanging about and I asked him how he was. He said he had a bad foot and wanted to get a room at the Hostal but it was all full. I looked at him and said it was his lucky day. Amidst some confusion by the shop owner who was tending the hostal for the owner made the arrangements and told "Nick" he was going to be Mr Miller for that night. :).
I headed off into the Meseta just as it was starting to rain. I wondered if I was crazy. And of course I was. It would just take another dose of blisters to let it sink in really well. It actually rained quite hard. For a long while there was no one else on the path. Eventually Ramona, the Germanic Swiss woman I had met the first day at St Jean Pied la port caught up with me and we walked together to Hontanas. I got a lovely little room on the top floor. I asked for a cup of tea and the Senora brought it to me in my room. When I went outside there were many I had met previously - the Norwegian man who reminded me of my brother, and a Danish man I had met in

No comments:

Post a Comment