Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Puenta de la Reine

Today I Arrived at Puenta de la Reina hot and exhausted. For the most part I had a wonderful day. The sun was shining and the morning was fresh. Pamplona is a beautiful city- we left through the university grounds with large grassy, park-like areas and many huge trees. Katie and I picked up a croissant with chocolate inside and thought we were in heaven. It was a long climb to the top of the ridge, through stony, dry paths. On either side was miles of ploughed farmlands bordered by trees of all sorts.
At the top of the peak an enterprising man was selling sandwiches and a drink for 3euros. Best money I ever spent. Having coke at lunch is getting to be a habit. Usually I hate coke but cycling with little energy I learned it's value which is being translated to this walk.
Our group was separated for a while but it was good to have some time alone to reflect on this new year of my life. I feel very priveleged to be on this trek, walking in footsteps centuries old, meeting people from all over the world, being totally present in extraordinarily beautiful country.
It was a difficult day for a few of us. For me it was the heat at the latter part of our day.
Staying in a very modest hotel which provides all that I need is a delight and reprieve from the auberges, nice as some of them are.
As I was walking along this afternoon, in the heat, i was listening to oliver schrorer playing his violin on his album Camino.
It lifted our spirits and seemed to be enjoyed by all who heard it.
Katie our forager introduced us to hazelnut, walnut and today- almond trees. We have loved learning what they look like and have spent time picking and cracking open their shells so we can enjoy their freshness. Blackberries also. Or path is often lined with them.
Quince seeds too- cured Jenny's sore throat. Then today, wild fennel lined our path.
We met a group today with a few BC residents- Victoria, Richmond and Burnaby. But they are part of a tour and not all of them walk let alone carry a pack. Interesting
how values invade even this. In many ways there is a lack of credibility gives to those who do not "carry their own weight" as it were.
Tomorrow we head for Estella. It is forcast to be cooler and the weather pattern is about to change calling for rain on Friday/Saturday which will provide another new experience.
It is time to go to bed. Goodnight all. Heather

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heather
    I'm trying to reach you via email and comments so hope something is working to let you know how wonderful it is to hear of your adventures. We too are in the rain but with shelter. If I could send you some new hiking socks for your birthday, I would, although if I was there with you I'd have had a spare pair for you, and food bars and snacks! And I do wish I was there too. You're such an inspiration and so determined, I can still imagine the younger you "throwing" Jim - you have grit girl and this will help you. We wish you a happy birthday and good walks and good sleeps. I hope you brought along earplugs. Take care and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    love, Marilyn (and Terry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Puente de la Reina. The bridge was beautiful and I stayed at an albergue on the other side of it up on a steep hill. It was stark in comparison to the other alberques I stayed at. But the town is lovely. You're bringing it all back to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather
    It's so great to hear how your adventure is going. We really appreciate the fact that you're taking the time to write after each day - even though you're exhausted. We just wanted to say Happy Birthday! We'll keep following your footsteps. Lisa and Chris.

    ReplyDelete